[T3] Turn Signal Switch/Cancel Ring

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 14:58:16 PDT 2012

On the '69, the current comes in to the horn, which is "hot", and the
wire from the horn runs to the steering shaft bearing, which is
insulated from the steering column, where it makes the shaft "hot". A
ground wire runs up the inside of the steering shaft where the horn
button makes the connection between that ground wire and the steering
shaft to complete the connection.

This is one of the most complicated and convoluted circuits in the
car, and the most commonly misunderstood, but it's a good system that
has the advantage that it does not have that sliding contact that
wears out and damages the TS switch.

So my question is: (Jim)
In the Bentley book, Section 7, Page 33, Figure 10-15 ...
Is that jumper wire (marked A & B to the coupling bolts) which
spans(?), or  does it go up through, the expanded steel tube of the
steering column ... the ground wire from the horn?
Is the horn insulated from the bumper where it bolts on?   Otherwise,
wouldn't the front bumper also be "hot" with 12 volts?
That ground wire travels up inside the steering column to the the
contacts in the Horn Button to activate the horn?
And what's the purpose of the ground wire to gearbox (marked C) for?

So when I had an "intermittent horn" (when my front bumper was mounted
on the car and the horn mounted on the bumper) THAT ground wire may
have been the source of my "sometimes OK" and "sometimes NOT OK' horn
operation?

Could "rusty" bumper mounts where the bumper mounts to the uni-body,
been the source of the intermittent horn operation?

Hmmmmm?

Gary "Frito" - '69 Variant, FI, MT
Rockport, TX (winter)
Lake Geneva, WI (summer)