[T3] Special Request - Axle Beam?

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 10:25:59 PDT 2012

As many of you members, who have offered advice, I am in the process
of attempting to build a Type 3, Tow Bar which attaches to the Axle
Beam with a "cradle" that is under the beam and "U" bolts to hold it
in place.

We are returning to Wisconsin from Texas, via Houston, Dallas, I-35
through OK, KS and northward through Lincoln, NE.  Our interim
destination is a 3-day stop in  Pender, NE where Blue OX (Automatic
Engineering Mfg.) Tow Bars are made.

I are  currently in need of a axle beam that the "engineers" at Blue
Ox can USE, to fabricate a suitable Tow Bar for my '69 Type 3
Squareback.

The portions of the Axle Beam which I need (as the Bentley book
describes in Section 7; page 3) are the two, "heavy-gauge steel
components" ... of the "hollow, twin-tube beam" that bolts to the
chassis frame head.

I DO NOT need the shocks, ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings,
bumper stops, seals, torsion bars, needle bearings, or any of the
internal "guts" of the beam.

If the beam had the steering box/arm, that sticks through the small
opening on the left side, and the Fuel Pump Mounting Plate on the
right-side , that would be OK, but not absolutely necessary.

As we travel north through Dallas: Madill, and Ardmore, OK; Salina,
KS; Seward, Lincoln, and Pender, NE, I would be willing to revise my
route 100 miles or so to pick up an available Axle Beam that a T3
member may either have or know where one located in a salvage yard,
barn, etc.

I'm aware this is a "special request" and kinda short notice, but if
one exists along or near my route, (I-35, NE & KS Hwy. 81, I-80, etc.)
I would appreciate knowing where a Axle Beam is located.

An E-mail gbforsmo at gmail.com or phone call (920) 917-9500 to me any
time would be appreciated.

Anybody?

Gary "Frito" - '69 Variant, FI, MT