[T3] Rust!

Art Sterrett asterrett2010 at att.net
Sat Apr 21 07:20:55 PDT 2012

Having followed the postings for several years now, I have a question concerning dealing with a rust problem.  I restored my 1971 Fastback and I am now incurring some rust through just below the rear window on both sides.  We have removed the rust and treated it with a rust inhibitor, knowing that most rust comes from the inside out I am not sure what good we have done to this point.

It appears that when these cars were built that they filled that area with foam which makes it about impossible to cut and weld new metal into that area.  I would like to hear from any of you who have had experience with this problem and what you've done to slow the rust down or stop it.

I had hoped to finally make this invasion coming up but started a new job after being unemployed for a time and I don't have any vacation built up and they won't let me take a week off without pay.  Hope you all have a great time!

Thanks, Art Sterrett

1971 Fastback
1971 Super Bug