[T3] GPS's...

Brion Sabbatino brionsab at msn.com
Fri Aug 10 18:11:21 PDT 2012

My take on GPS. I travel a lot for work and explore on my own time.

A GPS is great for traveling city to city. It still helps to review a paper map. Many times a GPS will send you the either the most direct route or the fastest route. Neither is always the best route all the time. Other times you might choose another route. Maybe along the coastline or through the mountains. In other words I defy the GPS commands. Get going the way I want to go and then let it figure it out. Interstate does not excite me.

Review a paper map lets you scan along and off the highway. Many times there is something of interest. Sure a GPS will tell you also; but while cruising down the road it is another button to push and impossible to read while in motion.

Many roads I take on my own time are not on GPS. These are Forest Service, Off road, dirt and gravel roads. These are not even hard core roads. My Honda can handle them. Paper is the only way to navigate them.

When in a City, strange or familiar, I use google maps and places on the Droid. Finds me a restaurant, store, point of interest, etc. Can even navigate you there, walking, driving, or public transportation. Great tool. Even can check reviews.

In S. CA I used my GPS to see if it could get me from Ventura to S. Pasadena. It would have. Only problem is it wanted me to travel through an area that is not safe, even for a big boy with a gun. If I had not lived there, I would have never known. I do like the live GPS traffic, construction, and accident alerts.

So my conclusion is it is nice to have all three.

A trip can be a trip, or it can be an adventure that enriches your journey.

Brion S
S. Utah
69 Squareback