[T3] GPS Recommendations?

Robert Bills rdbills at aol.com
Sat Aug 11 12:29:59 PDT 2012

I have used a Garmin GPSmap60csx for many years.  It is designed for general use rather than specifically for automotive applications.  One of the features I like is the ability to download City Navigator street maps for the entire U.S. as well as topographic maps for offroad and hiking use.   Although the latter isn't important for my Squareback, it is for my jeep, and I like the idea of being able to move my GPS from vehicle to vehicle or just keep it in my pocket or day pack.

I used to teach GPS and orienteering.  What I was taught, and what I have taught others, is that there is no substitute for a paper map, a good compass, and a pencil.  GPS is a convenience, and although it is fun to use one must remember that electronics fail and batteries discharge.

One thing to bear in mind is that the maps available for GPS use are proprietary, so Garmin maps won't work in your Tom Tom and vice versa.  Try out different brands in the store and base your purchase on maps first, then the unit.   In other words, if you like the Garmin maps best, then that is your brand.  Personally, I am partial to Garmin and not a big fan of Magellan or Tom Tom, but I have a friend who swears by her Tom Tom and didn't like the Garmins she tried out.

Here is a link to a photo of my Garmin hung on the ashtray of my Squareback.  When I leave the car, I hide it or take it with me and there is no mount on the dash or windshield to signal thieves that there might be something worth stealing inside.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-gcVhN1sCV7M/TZytvKmeNyI/AAAAAAAAADU/vaCrBk0A3x0/s640/HPIM0373.JPG?gl=US