[T3] GPS recommendations?

Brent Bottolfson brent at bottolfson.net
Thu Aug 16 18:40:16 PDT 2012

On 8/16/12 10:25 PM, Jim Adney wrote:

> I settled for the Garmin 1450LMT w/complete North American maps. It's
> an older model, but I found a refurb, with full warrantee, at Tiger
> Direct for $120 plus $7 shipping. My one reservation is to how much
> native memory the 1450 has. Garmin doesn't appear to release this
> info. The Garmins will all accept microSD memory cards to add memory,
> but they don't say how much memory they will accept or how much this
> effects the speed. Once your (total) memory is no longer large enough
> to handle the next map upgrade, Garmin considers your GPS "lifetime"
> to be ended. So much for the meaning of lifetime....

The map files are around 1.8GB for North America.  I've found that
installing them onto a 2GB SD card works well and have had no problems.
Then you can just select which map to use in the settings and not even
mess with the internally stored maps.  I don't think the internal memory
is much bigger than 2GB either, because there's not a lot of room left
in the internal memory to add extras.

BTW, I had problems using either a 4 or 8GB SD card with my Garmin. For
some reason, only the 2GB card worked.