[T3] GPS recommendations?

Don Robertson donrob at yachtsales.com
Thu Aug 16 20:55:53 PDT 2012

My old Garmin ( A nuvi 760, about 4 years old now) does not have
enough memory any more to hold the new North American map set, so I
download Canada and the northern US States instead.  Works fine.

I doubt you will have that problem for a few years at least.

Remember...  if the magenta line on the map that shows you the route
seem to conflict with the voice commands, ignore the voice and follow the map.

At 09:25 AM 8/16/2012, you wrote:
>Well, I've made the leap into a GPS. Thanks to everyone who replied
>with their thoughts on them. I just thought I'd mention what I've
>done.
>
>Several of you mentioned smart phone apps. I may get there someday,
>but frankly, I'm just too cheap. I can't believe what they cost per
>month to own and operate.
>
>I read what Consumer Reports had to say on GPSs. They recommended a
>5" screen, free map updates, plus several other recommendations.
>Those of you who replied, recommended Garmin over the others, and
>some of you mentioned how expensive the map updates are if you don't
>get the free updates. One feature that seemed useful was the traffic
>awareness and routing available in larger cities.
>
>I looked at the recent models available and at the options. I figured
>out that LM at the end of the Garmin model number stands for Lifetime
>Map updates and LMT adds lifetime Traffic updates, so I looked for a
>reasonably priced LMT version. The one on sale at Target was the
>Garmin 50LM, but it doesn't have the Traffic routing feature.
>
>I settled for the Garmin 1450LMT w/complete North American maps. It's
>an older model, but I found a refurb, with full warrantee, at Tiger
>Direct for $120 plus $7 shipping. My one reservation is to how much
>native memory the 1450 has. Garmin doesn't appear to release this
>info. The Garmins will all accept microSD memory cards to add memory,
>but they don't say how much memory they will accept or how much this
>effects the speed. Once your (total) memory is no longer large enough
>to handle the next map upgrade, Garmin considers your GPS "lifetime"
>to be ended. So much for the meaning of lifetime....
>
>It's not here yet, so I don't have any actual impressions to report.
>I'll do that later.
>
>Don't worry, I'm still addicted to paper maps and we'll still plan
>all our trips using them. I like to see the larger picture when I'm
>thinking about trips. I sometimes use Mapquest, too, but it actually
>misled me on one occasion. I expect the GPS to be particularly
>helpful while wandering thru an unfamiliar city.
>
>--

Don Robertson - (905) 566-0000
3641 Wolfedale Road, Mississauga, Ontario, L5C 1V8
Skype: marinemarketplace
Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to
live at the expense of everybody else.
- Frederic Bastiat, French Economist (1801-1850)

Webmaster:
Click Here http://www.marinesurveyor.com/websites.html for a list of
over 100 Marine Surveyor Clients.

http://www.peoplepost.net/                      peoplepost.net
http://www.yachtsales.com                       Don Robertson's
Marine Marketplace
http://www.marinesurveyor.com                   The Marine Surveyor's Web Site
http://www.oxfordautosales.com                  Oxford Auto Sales
http://www.artsale.com                          ArtSale.com

http://www.accuratervinspectors.com/            Accurate RV Inspectors
http://www.yachtsales.com/aquaclean/            AquaClean Sail
Cleaning and Rejuvenation
http://www.auto-tech.ca                         Auto-Tech
http://www.boatexhaust.com/                     BoatExhaust.com
http://www.brimleyboatsales.com/                Brimley Boat Sales
http://www.clelandinstruments.com/              Cleland Instruments
http://www.customyachtbuilder.com/              The Custom Yacht builder
http://www.yachtsales.com/mathews/              David Mathews, Yacht Deliveries
http://www.thedevonrexcattery.com/              Devondark, A Devon Rex Cattery
http://www.dixiematheson.com/                   Dixie Matheson Service Centre
http://www.dkqandsonsalarms.com/                D.K.Q. & Sons Alarms
http://www.greatlakesboathaulers.com/           Great Lakes Boat Haulers
http://www.yachtsales.com/msandy/               Maritime Ship & Yacht Brokers
http://www.orangeparkdrycleaners.com/           Orange Park Dry Cleaners
http://www.palmbreezechartermarco.com/  Palm Breeze Charters
http://www.railwayexpertwitness.com/            Railway Expert Witness
http://www.seelevelheater.com/                  See Level Marine Cabin Heaters
http://www.yachtsales.com/sharpe/               William M. Sharpe
Barrister & Solicitor

Listmaster
http://www.marinesurveyor.com/boatpokers/ - Boatpokers - A private
email forum for SAMS members
http://www.surveyorexchange.com/ - The Marine Exchange - The Marine
Technical Email Forum
For Professionals Employed in Marine Industries.