[T3] Stock cylinder kits

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Aug 20 20:51:55 PDT 2012

On 20 Aug 2012 at 19:14, Keith Park wrote:

> Well let me know if they turn up, I don't need them right away, I haven't
> even pulled that engine yet.

Will do.

> The miss with the Mark 10 got MUCH less when I put the new electronic VR on
> there, but there is still some at low RPM's and at times the idle is a
> little ratty.  Its almost something you might not notice now unless your
> paying attention or pooping along in heavy traffic at low RPM.
>
> I drove it today with the M10 on and I noticed it, Im going to switch it off
> and see how it does then, when I drive it again... but that may not be till
> Saturday.  Im not sure what to try next though, maybe a filter on the power
> input of the FI, which I suspect is whats not working quite right.  I might
> try grounding the shield on the cable going to the Mark 10 too...

Remember that you were convinced that this was a FI problem when we
first went round and round on this. It turned out to be the fact that
the Mark 10 was sensitive to noise on its input power line and the
dying VR was putting out lots of noise. I added a capacitor to the
Mark 10 power input, but it could probably also use some inductance
there.

The Mark 10B has the input LC filter built in. I had never realized
that this could be important until you had your problems. It would be
interesting to see if the new style VR puts out any such noise. It
might be useful to put a cap on the generator D+ terminal.

I'd expect the new VR noise to be above 20 kHz, so lots easier to
filter.

> The Cruise control consistently gets knocked off without the Mark 10 though
> but with it, no problems at all.

That makes it even less likely that it's a FI problem, since this
implies (as you said to Adriel) that the CDI system is less noisy
than the Kettering.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org