[T3] Started after seven years, now what?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Aug 27 12:58:20 PDT 2012

On 27 Aug 2012 at 7:30, Jacob Adam Schroeder wrote:

> The car still starts up (first crank, usually), but it is a challenge to
> keep it idling. It sounds like it is running on all 4, with the occasional
> miss and the engine eventually slows down until it dies.  I can give it
> some gas, which works to warm it up.  If I give it just a little gas, it
> usually stalls out and dies.  If I floor it and keep the gas at
> mid-throttle, it revs nicely and idles just fine at that high RPM (no
> misses).
>
> After warming it up, I've had it idle for a minute or so, whereby I shut it
> down myself.  I have got this to only occur once or twice.

Remind us of the year, please.

I'm assuming FI.

A few things to check:

1) Connect a voltmeter between ground and the red wire that comes out
of the "firewall" and plugs into the fuel pump relay. It should have
no voltage on it when the engine is stopped, and should have 12-14 V
any time the engine is running. If you see that voltage drift down,
below 12 V, while the engine is running, you may have found your
problem.

2) Get a pressure gauge good for 30 or 50 psi. Connect it to the fuel
pressure test port on the engine, and watch it while the engine is
running. It should show a constant 28-30 psi any time the engine is
running.

3) With the engine running, gently push on the injector connectors,
up or down. Can you make the engine run better by doing this?

4) Pump some gas out of the test port, into a glass container, and
let it settle. Is there water in there?

5) If nothing else seems to help, consider sending the distributor to
me to be rebuilt. This may not help, but there are several things in
there that can go wrong, so knowing this part is good removes one
more variable from the problem. This costs $50, plus shipping and any
major parts, if necessary (usually not needed.)

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org