[T3] Started after seven years, now what?

R. David rdavid at rochester.rr.com
Mon Aug 27 20:22:08 PDT 2012

Being a '72, you should have a distributor with a dual vacuum can on it;
that is you should have 2 vacuum lines running to your distributor. Our
'72's NEED to have a properly working dizzy in order to have the correct
idle AND correct acceleration properties. My thought is your '72 dizzy may
have frozen up in the 7 years it sat and needs to be gone thru. You can test
the movement of the points mounting plate (via the dual vacuum can) by first
removing the dizzy cap, then use a clean vacuum line and plug it onto each
nipple (one at a time of course) of the vacuum can and suck on the line. You
should see movement of the points mounting plate (will rotate in opposite
directions depending on which nipple you are sucking on) (did I just say
that?) and if you use your tongue to close the hose end after sucking; it
should hold a vacuum. If your 72 dizzy does not do this; you have a
malfunctioning dizzy / vacuum can and you will not have a properly running
motor.

My advice would be to remove it and send it to Jim Adney for a good rebuild.
There is alot to do a proper rebuild and proper setting of the trigger
points....you'll be glad you did!

Dave Pallo
'72 Square ~ "Elwood"
Fairport, NY