[T3] Started after seven years, now what?

Jacob Adam Schroeder jacob.schroeder at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 06:32:19 PDT 2012

> It's possible that the idle bypass passage is just clogged up with
> hardened stuff that would never have loosened if the engine had run
> occasionally. Try spraying some WD-40 in thru the bypass opening
> while the engine is idling. This may open things up.
>
> It's also possible that there's just increased friction in the engine
> from sitting so long. Things like a little rust on the cyl walls. If
> that's the case, it would take more power to reach the same idle
> speed, but this should go away with time.
>
> If the engine seems to run correctly otherwise, I'd get it out on the
> road and give it a good warming up, then change the oil again.

Good idea.  I'll dig up my timing light to verify timing, grease the front
end (as you suggested earlier), and take it out for a drive.  At this
point, I have nothing to lose.  And it does (aside from the dieseling
issue) appear to run perfectly otherwise.

Rust on the cylinder walls would not surprise me.  Even though this was
garaged for about 7 years, I have noticed all sorts of corrosion and rust
in places I never suspected.

Jacob