[T3] Started after seven years, now what?

Jacob Adam Schroeder jacob.schroeder at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 06:49:06 PDT 2012

> Being a '72, you should have a distributor with a dual vacuum can on it;
> that is you should have 2 vacuum lines running to your distributor. Our
> '72's NEED to have a properly working dizzy in order to have the correct
> idle AND correct acceleration properties. My thought is your '72 dizzy may
> have frozen up in the 7 years it sat and needs to be gone thru. You can
> test
> the movement of the points mounting plate (via the dual vacuum can) by
> first
> removing the dizzy cap, then use a clean vacuum line and plug it onto each
> nipple (one at a time of course) of the vacuum can and suck on the line.
> You
> should see movement of the points mounting plate (will rotate in opposite
> directions depending on which nipple you are sucking on) (did I just say
> that?) and if you use your tongue to close the hose end after sucking; it
> should hold a vacuum. If your 72 dizzy does not do this; you have a
> malfunctioning dizzy / vacuum can and you will not have a properly running
> motor.
>
> My advice would be to remove it and send it to Jim Adney for a good
> rebuild.
> There is alot to do a proper rebuild and proper setting of the trigger
> points....you'll be glad you did!

Hi Dave,
That will be my next step after I see if I can get the car out for a little
drive.  The distributor looks good and the vacuum mechanisms seem to work
fine (although you have to suck really hard on one side to see any
movement).  That being said, I'm sure my distributor could use a visit with
Jim to set it right.
Jacob