[T3] Never really knew....

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Wed Aug 29 14:11:42 PDT 2012

The dash-instrument dimmer would be designed to do its job with 6 Volts. I
think it would just have less effect on 12V than 6V.  The switches would be
loaded less heavily, since using 12V would need only half the current.
Apart from the actual components like bulbs, battery, starter motor, wiper
motor etc, which I assume you have changed for 12V items, I think it should
work OK.  If you haven't changed the bulbs, wiper motor, flasher relay etc,
you would have trouble with those being damaged.  The wiper motor will be
problematic.  There are places that claim they can supply a 12v armature for
your 6V wiper motor, or there is a circuit to use to reduce a 12V supply to
6V for the wiper motor.

If you have a good push-button dash assembly, you would benefit from using
relays with anything it switches with a big current.

I'll let Jim tidy up my ragged thinking - my mind's on something else at the
moment.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club