[T3] Never really knew....

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Aug 29 19:57:59 PDT 2012

On 29 Aug 2012 at 22:24, Stephen Breitrich wrote:

> OK...this just popped into my head! Over 30 years now I still dont
> really know the truth,and you guys are my "wikipedia"!:)  My
> Notch,63-64 has the push button controls (6 volt),and back then in
> 1981-82 I was told if I convert to 12 volt and use the
> controls,lights,wiper,dimmer,whatever,I will burn up the unit.I was
> scared to drive @ night or when it rained,so I didn't. I drove my bug
> instead. So ,it just dawned on me that since 1983? or so, I put a
> 1835/48's and 12 volt conversion of course, I have never driven @
> night or in the rain to this day. Got mixed feelings on that,kinda
> sad...:(  So, who knows the the answer to this?

Not completely sure what your question is, but I'll try to answer the
obvious ones.

If you've changed ALL your light bulbs, including the instrument
bulbs, I don't think there's any chance that you'll damage the
dimmer.

If you have changed the turn signal relay to a 12 V version and
replaced all the TS bulbs, you should be able to use the TSs without
fear.

If you have replaced the headlights and hi/lo relay with 12 V
versions you should not have any problem with those lights.

All the other bulbs will be fine as long as they are now 12 V bulbs.

The wiper speed rheostat is the hard one. To keep from damaging it,
and you REALLY don't want to do that, you should replace your 6V
wiper motor with a 12 V motor. The best way to do this is to find a
'70 wiper assembly and use all those parts. '67 to '70 will all have
12 V motors, but only the '70 has the greatly improved attachment to
the wiper arms.

And, yes, if you don't replace the wiper motor, it will run really
fast and it will rather quickly burn out the wiper speed control.
There are other ways to get around this problem, but none of them
work nearly as well as putting in a 12 V motor.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org