[T3] Started after seven years, now what?

Jacob Adam Schroeder jacob.schroeder at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 07:33:24 PDT 2012

I posted about a month back that I had been reunited with my 72
Squareback.  After sitting for probably 6 or 7 years, I was not sure if it
would start.  I went through the process of replacing all the fuel lines
and, while I was at it, I cleaned up some surface rust on the exterior of
the gas tank.  Last night I cranked her over for the first time (using a
new battery) and . . . sure enough, she fired right up.  After sitting for
that long without being started.  I only let it run for maybe 30 seconds
because it was late (didn't want to wake my sleeping toddlers) and I also
didn't want to push my luck.

Now what?

I'm assuming just the obvious: oil change (already done), new plugs, adjust
valve clearances, etc. (standard tune up stuff).  Long ago I installed one
of those electronic points kits (Pertronix?), so unless those go bad,
there's nothing I need to do on that front (unless the consensus is to
revert to normal points).  Any other recommendations would be much
appreciated.  Cheers!

Jacob