[T3] GPS recommendations?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Aug 16 20:40:55 PDT 2012

On 17 Aug 2012 at 10:40, Brent Bottolfson wrote:

> The map files are around 1.8GB for North America.  I've found that
> installing them onto a 2GB SD card works well and have had no problems.
> Then you can just select which map to use in the settings and not even
> mess with the internally stored maps.  I don't think the internal memory
> is much bigger than 2GB either, because there's not a lot of room left
> in the internal memory to add extras.

That's all good to know.

> BTW, I had problems using either a 4 or 8GB SD card with my Garmin. For
> some reason, only the 2GB card worked.

There's a good Wikipedia article on the SD family. They point out
that, in addition to sizes, there are also different generations and
different speeds of SD memory. In general, I get the impression that
you have to be within all 3 constraints when you buy SD cars, or they
may not work.

Frankly, this makes the SD family seem not too user friendly to me.
It's kind of disappointing.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org