[T3] Stock cylinder kits

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Tue Aug 21 18:16:03 PDT 2012

I am running the electronic Regulator, and have been since before the
Invasion, no problems except there is still some low RPM miss.
What value of cap and inductor does the 10B have on it?

Keith

Remember that you were convinced that this was a FI problem when we
first went round and round on this. It turned out to be the fact that
the Mark 10 was sensitive to noise on its input power line and the
dying VR was putting out lots of noise. I added a capacitor to the
Mark 10 power input, but it could probably also use some inductance
there.

The Mark 10B has the input LC filter built in. I had never realized
that this could be important until you had your problems. It would be
interesting to see if the new style VR puts out any such noise. It
might be useful to put a cap on the generator D+ terminal.

I'd expect the new VR noise to be above 20 kHz, so lots easier to
filter.

> The Cruise control consistently gets knocked off without the Mark 10
though
> but with it, no problems at all.

That makes it even less likely that it's a FI problem, since this
implies (as you said to Adriel) that the CDI system is less noisy
than the Kettering.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org