[T3] Never really knew....

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Wed Aug 29 14:19:42 PDT 2012

In a message dated 8/29/2012 4:24:59 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
steven_breitrich at gmx.de writes:

OK...this just popped into my head! Over 30 years now I still dont  really
know the truth,and you guys are my "wikipedia"!:)  My Notch,63-64  has the
push button controls (6 volt),and back then in 1981-82 I was told if I
convert to 12 volt and use the controls,lights,wiper,dimmer,whatever,I will  burn
up the unit.I was scared to drive @ night or when it rained,so I didn't.  I
drove my bug instead. So ,it just dawned on me that since 1983? or so, I
put  a 1835/48's and 12 volt conversion of course, I have never driven @ night
or  in the rain to this day. Got mixed feelings on that,kinda sad...:(  So,
 who knows the the answer to this? I would REALLY like to know. Thank
you,you  guys are great!

The switch will handle either 6 or 12 volt. However, you'll want to change
the dash light bulbs, as they'll burn out. Use 12 volt headlights (either
H4, or  sealed beams), and you'll be fine. The wiper switch is the tricky
part, as it'll  run on 12 volts, but it'll be sped up. You can dial the speed
down, but I don't  know IF it'll drop down enough to be useable.

I only mention these things, as I had asked Jim about it, and he felt that
the 12 volts might be easier on the switch (less amps to pass thru it). I
have a  64 T-34, that I did a 12 volt conversion to. It too has the push
button switch,  and I've swapped the dash bulbs, and used 12 volt sealed beams.
For the wiper  though, I went with a 2 speed (later unit) motor and separate
switch (hidden  under the dash), but the power is supplied by the stock
push button unit. It  works very well. : )

Like I said, I can't really comment on the stock 6 volt wiper motor, as I
removed it (put it in storage), and went with a later unit. This might be an
 alternative for you as well, as the up to 70 are a direct interchange for
the 6  volt motors. I hope this helps.

64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)