[T3] Fuel pump rod

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Mon Dec 10 10:02:08 PST 2012

The bakelite guide flange may have swelled and be stopping it dropping down
onto the cam that drives it.  I assume you've checked for free vertical
movement in the rod.

There are (at least) two lengths on the mechanical pump - one is for pumps
used with a Beetle alternator, which are angled and shorter (ISTR).

Sometimes the return spring on the pump fails, but that wouldn't stop it
moving up and down with the pump removed.

Looks like you'll find if there's a problem with the gear.  I assume the
distributor turns when the engine is turned?

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club