[T3] Fuel pump rod

Soren Jacobsen snj at pobox.com
Tue Dec 11 01:30:55 PST 2012

On Dec 10, 2012, at 8:56 AM, Brion Sabbatino <brionsab at msn.com> wrote:

> While on the subject of mechanical fuel pumps. What are others using as replacements? The 1966 model year used an external check valve assembly. Then carburetor models from 1967 on used a fuel pump with a built in check valve.
>
> I replaced mine (was missing) with a modern version, which I believe has not a check valve.
>
> It worries me. Relying on the needle valves to prevent the flow of gas into the engine; with our heat  and while parked with the nose of the car uphill.
>
> Does anyone know the correct part number I should be looking for? They can be rebuilt? I have been looking for the correct part and part number for some time.

Actually, 1965 was the last year of the external check valve.  And I don't know how much the valves do to fix it, but yes, the problem you're worried about is very real.  For a while I was regularly parking my daily driver 63 Bug in a hilly area without giving it a second thought.  Once, parked nose up with a full tank of gas, I came to my car the next morning and found that it was hydrolocked.  When I turned the engine in reverse a bit, fuel began to drip out of the muffler.  Not a fun day.  Now I go out of my way to park on level surfaces, or at least nose down.

The new style fuel pump came in 66, and the part number is 311 127 025A.  These pumps are pretty easy to come by (at least compared to the earlier ones), and yeah, they're rebuildable.  The part number for the rebuild kit is 311 198 555.  If you have trouble finding a rebuild kit (beware -- although some parts are shared with T1s, the diaphragm assembly is T3-only), you might try contacting Ed Fall (http://www.vintagewerks.com/).  I don't see it listed on his website, but he was at one point providing a fuel pump diaphragm replacement service.

Soren