[T3] just seeing if you were paying attention!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Dec 11 19:25:31 PST 2012

On 11 Dec 2012 at 13:08, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> Since Jim referred to MICROFILM ... is that how y'all (Dave H.  That's
> Southern for all of you guys :-))  quote part numbers.
> Are there microfilm(s) which cover all Type 3's, all years, all models
> including Type 34's or do you have "hard copies" of part number books
> that only dealers had?

VW switched to microfilm in about 1974. Up to then it was all in
looseleaf ring binders, one binder per model (Type 1, Type 2, Type 3,
Type 4) plus some extras for Ghias and accessories. VW periodically
issued update pages which had to be filed into each of those binders
to keep them current.

I have one of these books, bought on ebay, that's moldy and badly
eaten by silverfish, but it's older than the microfilm, so it
sometimes has details that have gone obsolete in the microfilm.

Once they switched to microfilm, each binder became one microfilm
sheet. The sheets are about 6" x 8" and look like they consist of
photocopies of the paper pages. VW dealers got a complete set of new
sheets every 6 months. The sheets I have came from a friendly dealer
when they got new ones. Since this was years after Type 3 production
stopped, those sheets didn't change.

Nowadays, it's all in a computer database, which would be great for
us, except that VW doesn't share it and there's very little left
there in the way of Type 3 parts.

> Is there any help for me?
> I'd like to have a book, microfilm or PDF(?) file.  Does any of that
> exist to help those of us uninitiated?

You're looking for a "copy" of the parts book, right? That's sort of
the Holy Grail.

Russ may have been in the process of digitizing these. I think others
have tried, but it's a huge process. And it's probably illegal due to
copyright, so I don't think the commercial places which could do this
easily would touch it.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org