[T3] T3 Front end bushings

timothy kuehn keen_tj at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 21 10:12:57 PST 2012

-- From: "Keith Park"
-- Have I sent you my Front end FAQ?

No, I'd love to read it.

-- You either have an early beam that... used Bakelite bushings ALONE, OR an original beam w/ ... metal bushings pressed into Bakelite SLEEVES...
I have the bushings, I think... and Bakelite sleeves too.

Then I must have a late-model beam, but I guess I can't be sure if it's original to the car.
It's the metal bushing - basically a short section of tube - that came out in pieces.  The sleeve must still be in there (?), because when flushing
down in the area, did not see any gap where the sleeve should be.  Did see the 'bottom', and a space that seemed correct for bushing to slide into.
Does that mean I was looking at the face of that sleeve?

But is it reasonable to think that, since bushing was just free in there, bakelite sleeve is also suspect, maybe split or wallowed?
If I get bushings from you, is there any sense in not replacing the sleeves too?

Reading Bentley section on this job.  They refer to special tools to pull & install.  Suggestions?

--Timmy
'72 square
Venice, CA