[T3] Fastback with fuel problem

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Dec 25 18:40:27 PST 2012

On 25 Dec 2012 at 14:49, Terrie Ann Schmearer wrote:

> It's a 1972 Fastback

The kit for a '72 costs $30, including shipping.

I should have given you a more complete explanation. Dirt in the tank
clogs up the filter. The clogged filter limits the flow of gas. The
pump struggles to maintain pressure, making more noise in the
process. At idle or low load, the fuel flow will be sufficient to
keep the engine going, but once you add load, there's just not enough
fuel and you get the exact symptoms you described. The car slowly
gets worse and worse as the filter gets more and more clogged.

You need to fix the problem, which is the cracked overflow hose, then
drain the tank and inspect the gas for water. If there's no water,
you can filter the gas and reuse it. If there's water in there, you
can let the water settle to the bottom of your can and just filter
and reuse the gas off the top.

I probably have good filters here, too, but you should also remove
and clean off the filter screen that's in tank outlet.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org