[T3] Fastback with fuel problem

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Dec 26 07:57:13 PST 2012

On 25 Dec 2012 at 20:37, Jared Kohler wrote:

> Ah, gotcha and understand.
>
> I just bought the hose from ISP and it fit great. It matched my crusty stock one perfectly.

What I'd really like to know is how this part works with gasoline,
installed on your car. I did my test with Diesel fuel, which I
thought should be LESS aggressive than gasoline, but when it failed
that test I didn't go any farther. I'd like to know how it actually
works out in practice.

The people at ISP assured me that they'd never had any trouble with
them, but it seemed likely to me that they had never done any
followup inspections, and I didn't get the impression that they had
ever done any kind of compatability test like I had done. Plus there
was the problem that it couldn't possibly be the right length for
both early and late versions.

Early versions are longer and fit '68-'72 with the quarter turn gas
caps. Late versions are ~3/8" shorter and fit '72-'73 with the
screw-in gas caps. The difference arises because VW had to move the
side port on the filler pipe to accommodate the longer screw-in cap.

My kits fit either version, because you have to cut a hose for proper
fit in your car.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org