[T3] Battery Cable Bolt/Nut

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Dec 28 21:26:59 PST 2012

On 28 Dec 2012 at 13:38, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> The original, METRIC Square-head bolt and accompanying Hex-head nut on
> my battery lugs:  The nut on the ground strap and "hot" cable are
> getting "rounded", to the point that they are difficult to make tight.
> What metric size bolt (thread and length) and nut do I need for my 1969 Square?

The OG battery clamp bolts are M8 x 1.25 threads, but they are
specially plated with lead, to make them more resistant to erosion by
battery acid and fumes. I don't know of any source for these other
than old OG VW battery clamps.

The most common failure area for these are in the middle of the bolt,
where acid tends to eat them away. The clamps don't generally need to
be clamped very tight. It's much more important that they be spread
open with a screwdriver, or pair of screwdrivers, so that they will
drop ALL the way down over the tapered battery post.

The most common CAUSE for this problem is hammering the clamps down
onto the battery posts. This breaks the fragile seal between the
plastic battery case and the lead battery post. Once that seal is
broken, acid will seep up to the clamp and eat away at it. The only
solution is to replace the battery.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org