[T3] Faulty Fuel Pump

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 31 15:45:04 PST 2012

-------------------------

1971 Sunroof Squareback with F.I.- Located in Coastal San Diego County
Student, A.S.U. Mesa, AZ

> From: jadney at vwtype3.org
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 11:53:19 -0600
> Subject: Re: [T3] Faulty Fuel Pump
>
> On 29 Dec 2012 at 22:47, Adriel Rowley wrote:
>
> > I am so mad right now! Adney sent me a rebuilt pump (which I am sure
> > he tested), just installed it, and it doesn&apost work! Applied 12
> > volts and nothing. I have the two clicks, dash lights are on, and
> > fully charged battery. The dome light even started working and really
> > spins over like I never heard it do. So should be good to go. If I
> > don&apost get the Squareback running by 3:00P.S.T. going to cost me an
> > extra $100 I really don&apost have, thus part of the reason I am upset
> > (also sick of how unreliable these autos are). Any ideas?
>
> When you turn the key on, do you hear a relay click, and then a
> second click about 1 second later? If not, your fuel pump relay isn't
> working, due to a more fundamental problem, and that means the pump
> never actually got any power.

Yes.

> Try using a small jumper around the fuel pump relay, between the 2
> red wires. You should get a small spark and that should run the pump,
> even with the key off.

Done this, little spark but other than that, nothing.

> If you don't get any sparks, check the voltage on those wires. If
> there's no voltage, check the fuel pump supply fuse. One of those red
> wires will lead back to the fuse box, so you can follow it to the
> correct fuse. If the fuse is bad, you'll find voltage on one end and
> not on the other.

All fuses good. I pulled the red wire off and connected it to the fuse box and nothing.

> If there's no voltage on either end, there's something wrong with the
> wiring: a bad connection, a broken wire, or (most likely) a wire
> mis-connected.

I have done NOTHING to the wires except plug in the pump. I checked twice and everything is in place.

> From: jadney at vwtype3.org
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 11:53:19 -0600
> Subject: Re: [T3] Faulty Fuel Pump
>
> On 29 Dec 2012 at 16:44, Adriel Rowley wrote:
>
> > What frustrates me is there is no need for all this questioning,
>
> The questions are necessary because you didn't tell us any of the
> answers in your post. You can't expect us to read your mind. You have
> to keep in mind that you are there, but we are not.

What happened to the post where I said I have dash lights, two clicks, good fuses, and power to the pump (though the later has now been proven wrong)?

> > What I don't understand is why I have a pump that doesn't run despite
> > paying $89 for a rebuild. I would have gone and gotten a Ranger pump,
> > but Adney rebuilt it without confirming. Takes two, so not blaming
> > anyone. ;/
>
> Every pump I rebuild, including yours, gets powered up to make sure
> it runs after I rebuild it. Yours has been stored a long time since
> the rebuild, so it's possible that it frooze up in storage. This
> might be due to water still in the motor portion, which I can't be
> sure of getting out without the more expensive full rebuild, which
> would have cost $50 more.

I am not happy about paying anything, as I should have had a pump that works right out the box. I followed instructions and didn't install it.

For the money I spent, I could have had a Ranger pump, if not two, that be brand new. I rather give you the business. Maybe you be interested in core parts? Got a lot of stuff around here!

> I don't think either of us thought about this at the time, and I was
> under the impression that you were going to install the pump right
> away and any water remaining in the gas tank or pump would have
> burned off quickly, assuming most of it had been drained out of the
> tank.

How could I when I was in another state? Man, I really blew it on communication...

> Keep in mind, however, that we don't yet know that the motor is
> frozen. It's still possible that you're not getting sufficient power
> to it.

How would you test sufficient power? The bump only runs when the key is turned on.

> If it IS frozen, I can probably free it up for no charge other than
> the return shipping. Or, if necessary, I can do the rest of the
> complete rebuild for only the extra $50.

Oh! Okay, I will consider my options. What would it cost to get new seals? I.I.R.C., this was part of the full rebuild. I am leaving tomorrow morning and already evening, so...

> You could also try tapping the motor housing lightly a few times
> before you try to start it.

Okay.

Thank you so much!
Adriel