[T3] Chassis Number

Brion Sabbatino brionsab at msn.com
Sun Dec 9 17:04:38 PST 2012

With Jim's suggestions, I could not stand it any longer. I had to get this fixed and braved the 48 degree and 26 mph winds. The desert gets windy!

Started by removing the front turn signal light housing. Nothing astray there. Well might as well remove the rear tail light housing too.

Upon doing that three splices became apparent. Check for shorts to ground...nothing. Next follow the spliced wires. Bingo...they where tucked up into the top of the bumper between the towing hitch. I would have never seen them without really looking for them. Knew right away that had to be where the problem was. The left turn signal wire would occasionally short out between there.

So everything was cleaned up and secured. Ready for a four prong trailer connection. Cleaned up the housings and connectors. Then installed everything and put the dash together. Turn signals work now. Only went through nine fuses while trouble shooting.

Certainly glad I was not paying $90 per hour for a  repair. So...after a good eight hours...it was a good day.

Had a few ladies drop by that where traveling through Town from Illinois. They wanted a tour of the VW and Porsche farm. Some very interesting folks have made the pilgrimage to the farm. It is always an adventure and great to hear their stories. There are a lot of VW bus' traveling the world. And I mean really traveling the world on a trip for years.

Brion S.
S. Utah