[T3] T3 Front end bushings

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Dec 17 19:51:35 PST 2012

On 17 Dec 2012 at 13:54, timothy kuehn wrote:

> My squareback's control arm bushings - am I calling them the right name? - are shot.
> No luck finding them at any of the usual suppliers (WCM, ISP, Bill&Steve, etc).
> Anyone have some, or even one, in usable condition?
>
> These are the bushings that go around the ends of the torsion bars, just inboard of the lower control arms.
> Are they the same right and left?

Just inside the torsion arms are needle bearings. About 8" further in
are bushings. It's pretty unusual for the lowers to get destroyed,
because the grease fittings for those are pretty obvious. It's the
uppers which are often overlooked since their grease fittings are
rather hidden. Have you been greasing the 4 fittings on your beam?

If your torsion arm bearings, or the inner bushings are really
destroyed, your best bet would be to find a complete decent beam and
just replace the whole thing. That would actually be easier than
trying to replace those parts, especially since you may never find
replacement parts.

Before you get started on this, however, what symptoms do you have
that have led you to believe that your bearings have disintegrated?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org