[T3] '69 Squareback

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Jan 3 11:28:36 PST 2012

On 3 Jan 2012 at 11:37, Gary Forsmo wrote:

>    - *What is the purpose of the small, (approx.) 3", round, metal "plug"
>    painted the body color, in the center of the front apron?*

It allows you to remove/replace the shift rod on MT cars without
damaging the bodywork. To do this, you also have to remove the well
that the bottom of the spare tire sits in.

Basically, it's much the same as the smaller "plugs" in the rear
fenders, which allow removal of the rear torsion bars.

>    - *Does your '69 Squareback have both ... an ORIGINAL driver's-side AND
>    passenger-side door mirrors?  If so, can you send me pictures to my E-mail
>    address?  gbforsmo at gmail.com (Two or three views of each mirror would be
>    helpful.)  I have been trying for years to see photos of what the ORIGINAL
>    arms, mirror shape, mounting nut look like.  Even factory photos are not
>    sufficient.

I thought we had looked at some here. I'm sure I don't have any good
ones, but I'm pretty sure I have some parts that would at least be
sufficient for you to see what they looked like.

It's also likely that VW supplied mirrors from more than one vendor
at different times or even at the same time. The look would have been
pretty much the same, however, but I don't think there's any way to
be sure of what YOURS were exactly like when you bought it.

The mirrors changed in '70 or '71, and almost anything replaced after
that time would be the later style, which superceeded the early
style. The later ones are better because they are much easier to
adjust.

Most of our outside mirrors have been replaced more than once, so the
odds of finding an actual original still on a car are pretty slim.

> Does the Fastback body style have the VERY SAME door mirrors as the
> Squareback?*

Within the limitations of various vendors supplied at the same time,
yes. Squarebacks got 2 mirrors, but fastys only got one, with a
second one optional.

The question I've never been able to figure out is: When did fastys
come with the threaded insert in the RH door and when didn't they?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org