[T3] Hello, Type 3 Noob from San Jose, CA

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Sat Jan 7 15:16:16 PST 2012

OK I'll be on the lookout for them.

Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org
[mailto:type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org] On Behalf Of Jim Adney
Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2012 4:57 PM
To: type3 at vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] Hello, Type 3 Noob from San Jose, CA

On 7 Jan 2012 at 16:45, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> OK dumb question alert.  I'm not sure I have ever seen the little plastic
> ratcheting clamps. Are they like plastic wire ties or zip ties? Or is this
> regional thing where it is called different things in different parts of
the
> country or world?

I guess I just don't have a good name for them. They are molded fiber
reinforced plastic that you squeeze with a pair of pliers forcing
some little ratchet teeth to click over one another. They come in
lots of sizes, off-white and black, and they are pretty much "full
circle" so they are gentle on the hose. Some hardware stores will
sell them.

When I first came across them I worried that engine compartment temps
would damage them, but I've had them in there for years with no
change at all. They can be hard to take apart, but if you use 2
pliers to hold them and then slide the ratchet teeth "sideways," they
will pop apart. They are completely reusable.

Their main drawback is that they just look wrong.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

believed to be clean.