[T3] Tow hook/ towing hitch

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Wed Jan 11 08:50:40 PST 2012

The factory approved Westfalia trailer hitch had 1/4" thick side irons that
take the place of the bumper brackets, welded to 2" diameter heavy tube with
a slight outward curve.  This has bumper mounts bolted to the ends of the
cross tube, and the bumper mounts on these.  There is a central tube with a
flange which is bolted through holes in the rear apron with a substantial
V-section backing plate some 18" long that sits behind the rear apron (well,
in front of, since 'front is front') in the angle between the underside of
the air-intake box and the rear apron.

They are substantial pieces of steel, but do have the centre fixing which
involves drilling holes in the bodywork, so don't rely solely on the bumper
mounts.  The only other design I've seen in the UK have two long curved
tubes which bolt into the bumper mounts and into the rear wheel well, as
well as having the central attachment.

I would not like to tow more than a small box trailer on one that didn't fix
centrally too, and would want to check the mounts carefully for corrosion.
On a new car, with sound metal, there is no problem with the original style
hitch.  The towing weights are small compared with what the average US car
would be rated at anyway.

The bumper mounted towing eyes put most of the load through just one mount,
and you can tow the car with that - again, corrosion might make it
interesting!

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club