[T3] Distributor Rebuilds

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jan 14 08:22:17 PST 2012

On 14 Jan 2012 at 7:12, Tony Rongey wrote:

> Does anybody know where to get a FI distributor rebuilt?  I've got a box full of
> them, but all are sloppy - including the one that runs my car :(
> I checked with Glenn Ring, but he says he doesn't work on these.

Where have you been hiding? I do them, although I have no way of
replacing bearings. OTOH, I've never had anyone send me a dist that
needed bearings. What, exactly, is sloppy? The usual problem with
them is that the mech advance freezes up.

If you need to have one rebuilt, send me one that is correct for your
car. There were about 10 different ones for the FI years alone. Your
'70 AT/FI came with an M, but an L would be a better option.

I charge $50, plus any major parts and return shipping to do these.

I also have lots of good cores, so I could build you one from scratch
but that costs more.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org