[T3] '72 Type 3 Progress

Jeremy Menzies skellzangelz at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 18 20:05:23 PST 2012

Sounds like a lot of good rehabilitation going on over there.  That's pretty great that you got the clock going, it's good to know a trick if I come across a later one with the coils and transistors.

Speaking of the speedo your working on, I pulled mine (from a '71 sb) to check out why the odometer was working intermittently and discovered the shaft (possibly 'input'?) connecting the 'main' gears at the bottom to the odometer digits had a small brass gear that is badly worn.  The whole shaft has a spiral gear on the end linked to the digits and the aforementioned standard-looking brass gear linked to where the cable connects up.  The teeth on the brass gear have worn into fine little points so much that the teeth of the other gear slip right off, causing a few miles to log for every many miles driven.  Does anyone know if these shafts are the same on regular (no trip digits) and 'trip' odometers?  I imagine the extra distance required for the 'trip' section makes them different but I've never seen the insides of any others.

I'm thinking if they're the same I'll try to pick up a used parts gauge and steal the shaft.  Otherwise, I'll have to see if my machinist friend could fabricate me the worn gear.  There is a place near me that rebuilds VDO gauges but I imagine they'd want to do all the work and charge me an arm and a leg for it all...

Good luck with that rusty distributor, sounds like a big mess.

-Jeremy