[T3] '72 Type 3 Progress

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Jan 18 21:13:45 PST 2012

On 18 Jan 2012 at 20:18, Greg Merritt wrote:

> Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org> a écrit :
>
> > I discovered that the speedo
> > input shaft was VERY hard to turn. This turned out to be another
> > common problem that took a few extra minutes to fix.
>
> Jim, what was the source of this problem, and what was the solution?

There is a magnetic disk with a plastic center (hub) pressed onto the
inner end of that shaft. That part sometimes seems to slip down the
shaft and bind. You have to take the speedo almost completely apart
to even get at it, so I REALLY don't recommend that you do this
yourself. I broke a few before I figured out how to do this safely.

I don't know why this part slips on the shaft. It's quite tight, and
once I press them back up, they don't seem to slip back down. I've
fixed this problem on my own odometers and had them stay fixed for
nearly 20 years, when the cars were parted out and the speedos were
still fine.

I wouldn't call it a common problem; I see it on maybe 20% of the
speedos I work on.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org