[T3] '72 Type 3 Progress Report

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Thu Jan 19 12:43:26 PST 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org
[mailto:type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org] On Behalf Of Jim Adney
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:23 PM
To: type3 at vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] '72 Type 3 Progress Report

Dennis,

Let me see what I can find in the way of other distributors here.
Maybe I can come up with a cheaper solution for you. You say the dist
you sent me came from a different car; what about the dist from your
fasty?

All the engine parts from the FB are long gone. It's a long story why and I
won't bore you with it.

Is your fasty MT or AT, the distributors are slightly different. I'd
like to give you the best option possible.

It has a MT

I'm assuming that you'd like to keep this as cheap as possible.

Yes the head situation has already got me worried. I think the case is good
but if it is bad then money will be real tight.

BTW, your clock and speedo looked so awful that once the clock
worked, I decided to see if I could refinish the bezels. They're done
now and they look great. The look so good, in fact, that you might
want to consider sending me the 3rd gauge so I can finish it to
match. I wouldn't charge much, and there's no extra charge for the
extra work on the clock and speedo. If the 3rd gauge had been here so
I could have done all three at the same time, I would have refinished
them all for free. As an alternative, I could tell you what paint I
used and you could do it there. What I found was a flat black, but a
semi-gloss would probably be a better match to the OE. I think the
flat black may actually be a better choice to reduce glare.

The clock is oiled and running and I'm adjusting it, but that's a
slow process.

Ok the fuel gage is the only gage left from the FB and works but I suppose
we could send it and let you go through it. I also have the one from the SB
where the other gages came from. If you want I could send both and you just
keep one of them unless you don't need it. If the news is bad on the engine
stuff I could beg him to sell me that 73 SB from that guy I got the 72 SB
from.  But even if I can work out a deal with him don't know if we would be
any better off. It does have the FI on it still and I think the distributor
but can't say for sure because I haven't seen it in a while.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

believed to be clean.