[T3] FW: retractable seat belts

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Fri Jan 20 14:27:21 PST 2012

I have retractable front belts; the reel sits down by the inner rocker (the
threaded mount is down there from the mid 60s.  It hasn't melted yet, but
our later cars have a thermostat on each inlet, fitted to the bulkhead
externally.  A 1" bore metal pipe and 28mm ID wax paper hose carry cold air
from the fan housing elbow, if it's still all original in that area. Early
ones (pre-65 I think) didn't have the thermostats, and could get very hot.

I had to offset one of the reels as there wasn't enough clearance for the
spring mechanism, which sticks out a bit more than the other side of the
reel.

I have used the static ones from the front in the rear, as the only way to
get inertia reels they interfere with the back seat folding, with a lap
inertia reel for the centre position.   We had child seats and straps for
the kids in an earlier car, and carried the straps back to bolt through the
lip on the engine hatch, for 4-way harnesses.
Photo http://home.clara.net/hallvw/Family/boysvariant.jpg .

I would imagine some of the water-cooled belts would transfer, but a lot of
scrapyards over here cut the belts deliberately.  You never know what
stresses they have been subjected to - a rusty car without accident damage
would be safer to pick from.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club