[T3] End Play Ick

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jan 21 20:18:48 PST 2012

On 21 Jan 2012 at 16:45, Know One wrote:

> > > So, how bad is end play of .014"?
> >
> > It all depends one WHY it's so large.
> > If the main bearing is loose, the only solution is a complete  rebuild, an align bore, and new main bearings that are oversize on the OD. <
>
> Well, the verdict is in, the main bearing is loose. Bummer.

Loose in the case? Sorry to hear that. If so, this means tearing the
engine all the way down. If the engine is otherwise in pretty good
shape, the rebuild need not be expensive, if you can do the work
yourself.

I would suggest that you tear it down and send the case to RIMCO. Ask
them to install case savers and do a minimal line bore. Get someone
to measure the crank carefully; it will probably be okay as it is.
Once you know what size it is, you can tell RIMCO that info and they
can sell you a main bearing set to go with the align bored case and
your crank.

Then you can put everything back together again. Depending on your
budget, you can replace some other parts. I would definitely get the
heads done, unless they had already been done recently. If the
pistons and cylinders are old, replace them, otherwise maybe just
replace the rings.

Don't get caught up in investing in lots of fancy high performance
parts, unless you really want to get into this, are prepared to spend
a fair amount of money and are willing to study the process and
figure out which parts will work well with which other parts.

I have a list of upgrades to invest in, in order of priority if you
really want to go in that direction. Don't expect to do this cheaply.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org