[T3] Non-Working Headlight

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Sat Jan 28 10:27:47 PST 2012

I had something a bit similar when repairing a Beetle battery connector.  I
had bought an aluminium one with screws that clamped onto the wire.  I
thought it would be helpful to fill the gap with solder, and warmed it up
with a blow-torch, then filled the gaps with solder.  It worked fine for a
couple of weeks, then produced a high resistance at the connector.  I
replaced it with a brass one which worked properly.   I assumed some sort of
electrolytic action had oxidised the aluminium casting.  Obviously normal
solder wouldn't have bonded to the aluminium (which naturally has an oxide
layer on it anyway), but something changed in the contact between the
aluminium and the copper wires.

With the Jetta, I don't know what property of the grease had changed to
become insulating after working OK for a week or so, and it might not have
the same formulation as the same sort of product in the USA.  The greased
connector initially worked OK, but only for a week or so.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club