[T3] '74 Type 3s?

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Sun Jan 29 04:59:26 PST 2012

We've got quite a few members on our UK forum that have Australian imports -
it's quite attractive to have a rust-free right-hand drive Type 3, and I
noticed one in the for sale the other day.  We also get quite a few imported
from South Africa, for the same reasons (rust-free and RHD).  I think the
South African ones were all built from kits (CKD) but Australian production
did involve making quite a number of parts and panels for them.  I think for
the later ones (and maybe earlier ones) they went back to kits, but tax
rules made it advantageous to make as much as possible themselves.

We could do with Simon Glen to tell us the whole story, but he seems to have
disappeared off the radar.  I hope he wasn't affected by the serious
flooding in Toowoomba last January - that's where he was living last I
heard.  He's listed on LinkedIn, but I'm not able to see his profile.  I've
been trying to track down a copy of "Volkswagens of the World" that he wrote
about 10 years ago.  It's no longer in print and Veloce books doesn't expect
to reprint it.

Doing a google search showed this in the VWType3.org archives, talking about
models:-

http://listarchive.vwtype3.org/archives/2001/october/msg00839.html

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club