[T3] Question about non-working headlight

Norman Roush naroush at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 29 23:21:05 PST 2012

Jim,

Your suggestion solved my problem.  The ground was corroded and after backing out the screw, cleaning the wire connector and adding a bit of bearing grease the light is working again.  It there anything on these car you don't know how to fix?

Thanks so much,
Norman

On 26 Jan 2012 at 22:06, Norman Roush wrote:

> Noticed my right headlight is not working, neither Hi or Lo beam. Fuses are OK. >Installed spare light, no change. Installed spare light in left side and it worked so think its >wiring, maybe the ground?  Where is the right light grounded? Since neither Hi nor Lo
> work and they have separate wires and fuses I'm guessing its the common ground. Any >ideas?

It's either the ground or the wire running to the right side. Remove
the trunk liner. You'll find the wires and the ground under there.
The ground wire comes back into the trunk and terminates under a
screw just inside the trunk. Turning that screw back and forth a few
times may break thru the rust and fix the problem.

If that's it, take the screw out, coat everything with a bit of heavy
grease or LPS-3 and reinstall. That should keep it from happening
again. If that was the problem, grease the other side, too, while
you're in there.

A voltmeter or test light is a big help with problems like this. It
lets you see exactly where you have voltage and where you don't.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org