[T3] Odd Electrical Gremlin - Voltage Regulator?

Robert Bills rdbills at aol.com
Mon Jan 30 16:32:27 PST 2012

Jim,

Thanks for the quick response.  I have replaced the “generic” voltage regulator with the Bosch 9 190 040 099 E, and all seems to be working properly again.  The generator appears to be charging, but all I have to test it with is a basic voltmeter I keep in my toolbag in the car.  [My good tools are still in storage.]   A friend at work has the proper instrument to test amperage as well, so we will do that tomorrow.

Examination of the old VR revealed that the points were pitted, but not welded together.  Apparently they were sticking[?]  It also appears that the primary coil got hot at some point, but nothing more than slight discoloration.  Hopefully I didn’t fry the generator.

Also, since I've been told that the case is "hot" on these solid state VRs, I placed a piece of 1/16" rubber gasket material between the VR and the body panel for insulation because the new unit is slightly wider than the original, leaving very little clearance.

Robert Bills