[T3] 10mm bolt

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Tue Jan 31 01:56:26 PST 2012

I think I recall a big cross-head screw in one of mine with a broken glass,
but this one sounds more like part of the casting, as Jim says.  Why would
they machine a bolt shank as a hexagon section?  The hexagon shape is to
lock the shell to stop it rotating.  Try a magnet on this shank and see if
it is attracted.  If not, it's probably part of the casting, which would
explain why it's getting rounded off so easily.  I don't see why you
shouldn't drill and tap a hole there - you would need to use a locking
washer to stop the shell rotating.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club