[T3] Fuel Pump, it lives!

Brion Sabbatino brionsab at msn.com
Sun Jan 15 17:35:58 PST 2012

Sending out a big thank you to all the list members who gave me their opinion on my fuel pump conversion.

I removed the Facet Electric Fuel pump. Cleaned the metal fuel line in the tunnel with a bus accelerator cable and gas. Replaced the rubber fuel lines. The installed a mechanical fuel pump on the engine.

Crank, crank, crank forever...battery almost dead. Two shots of starting fluid and the pump and carburetors are primed and she idles nicely. Take out for a round the block shake out test. Pull her back in and observe the engine bay and underside. Not too bad. Seems the left rocker cover is leaking smartly, so a new cork gasket is in order, and the Solix carburetors are popping a bit. Need to clean, adjust, and balance them. Not too bad for a vehicle that has sat in the desert heat for six years. Of course the gas gauge does not register and the fuel tank over flow vent (I know Jim) needs replacement. Minor things.

The car is 1969 Squareback. The PO had a new engine rebuilt 1970 case with the earlier Duel Solix set up. It has been a good VW day!

Brion S
S. Utah
1970 Square
1969 Square