[T3] Heads

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sat Jan 14 13:54:35 PST 2012

In a message dated 1/14/2012 1:57:08 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
gbforsmo at gmail.com writes:

*Keith  --

What do you mean?

* ... just make sure they are the proper  stepped VW heads and haven't been
cut down ...

*Just trying to learn  from those of you, who have knowledge about things of
which I'm  unfamiliar.  I've got to continue to "build my knowledge base"
while  the talent is still around to impart it.

The 72-73 cars got a "stepped head", meaning there's a step where the
cylinder seats against the head. This "step" lowers the compression ratio. The
71 and earlier heads don't have that step, which is why they have a couple
more  points of compression. By the way, the beetle head always had that
step, which  was how Russ was able to tell what the head was off of (that's what
he told me).

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)