[T3] Notch Running hot.

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Wed Jul 4 07:40:39 PDT 2012

In a message dated 7/3/2012 9:41:01 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
topnotch at nycap.rr.com writes:

Got the  Notch out on the highway today for the first time in a while, and
the first  time with the Brad Penn semi synthetic.
Well. once on the highway it  started heating up faster than I left the
Fulton county courthouse with new  plates in my hands (GAA 2128, I don't
think there are any engine builds  that size so it should look OK on the
crate)  Its running at least 20  degrees hotter than it did with the Dino
oil, and the pressure is also much  less. very much like what happened when
used the Amzoil nearly 25 years  ago, only not nearly to that extreme.  Big
changes in temperatures at  the cooler with different RPM's too. I think
those "8 little oil coolers"  as Russ used to call the pushrod tubes rely on
the oil to transfer the heat  to them efficiently and the semi Synth just
doesn't do that in the same way  as the Dino.  At low RPM's it doesn't run
too hot but at high RPM's  when there is more flow the heat doesn't transfer
as well and the oil  remains hot when it gets too and leaves the cooler.

Not sure if this is  the whole picture but Im surprised that nobody else has
seen this with the  synth oils, maybe its because not many of us have oil
temp gauges but wow,  what a difference.  Of course the car still runs fine
and without the  gauge you'd never know its 20 degrees hotter.  Now I did
the
same  apples to apples comparison with the T4 engine and did NOT see the
same
results. it MAY have run 5 degrees colder with the dino but that's in  the
noise really. maybe the different design or materials used tolerates  the
synth oil better.

Im going to give the Notch a good going over  tomorrow, pull the left tin,
make sure nothing is living under there, check  the timing etc. but nothing
has changed since I had the Dino oil in  there.  IT just ran hotter with the
Brad Penn. 205 at the cooler  rather than the 180 - 185 it should have been
and the resulting oil  pressure had the needle on the pin at idle coming off
the highway, and  that's not acceptable for what is basically a new  engine.

I guess I'm just really old school, in that I still use dino oil, and don't
 have all of those fancy gauges (just the stock idiot lights). I do use
GM's EOS  though, so I can get the ZDDP I need. And even out in Hays KS, I neve
r got an  oil light to come on (after getting off the highway). I don't know
IF it's  because I'm running 10W40 oil or not though. But then, that's all
I use in my  other vehicles too. ;-)

64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)