[T3] distributor question

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Jul 13 08:14:48 PDT 2012

On 12 Jul 2012 at 23:08, steve crispino wrote:

> >It sounds like your dist drive gear needs to be rotated one tooth CW.
> >This problem will often make the vac can hit the tin.
>
> I rotated the gear 1 tooth clockwise - it times correctly now.  Thanks.

Sounds good. One less problem to worry about.  ;-)

> Now for the next problem - the pressure switch.  I've verified that
> the wire leading to terminal 9 of the switch has voltage on it.
> However, the wire attached to terminal 14, designated as wire 34, leads
> to the cold start relay and not back to the control unit.  Since I chose
> not to install the entire cold start kit, the pressure switch circuit
> floats and thus sends no signal back to the control unit. Can I ground
> wire 34 to allow the circuit to complete when the switch actuates, or
> do I need to get a connection back to position 14 on the harness?

I've never done this conversion before. In fact, I've never actually
seen a '68-9 with the Cold Start Valve option. So I'm not completely
sure what the right thing to do is. I agree that removing the CSV is
the best thing to do.

Here's what I can tell you for sure: Both options used the same exact
brains, A or B. The B version is the better choice. On the option
without the CSV, wires 14 & 9, coming from terminals 14 & 9 on the
pressure switch, go to terminals 14 & 9 on the brain connector.

It's possible that terminal 14 on the brain is a ground. If you
verify that with an Ohmmeter, then grounding wire 34 (which replaces
wire 14 on the CSV option) would be equivalent to running a wire back
to terminal 14 on the brain.

Terminal 11 on the brain is a ground, so if there is little or no
resistance between terminals 11 & 14 on the brain, then terminal 14
is a ground on the brain.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org