[T3] Window rubber

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Sun Jul 15 07:42:06 PDT 2012

Ive never tried the bug scrapers, but all that Bob says here about the T2
Scrapers is correct.  They are a PITA to get on their properly, and you
usually have to get them on their wrong once in order to know how to get
them on right.  It sounds like the Bug scrapers is a much better idea.

Keith

Let's try this again.
I've used both Keith's method (T-2 inners for outers), and bug scraper
rubbers on stock t-3 trims. Both methods work, but the bug rubbers fit
easier
and better on the t-3 trim. On page 18 of my "been busy " link in my
signature,  you'll see what I went thru using t-3 inners (similar to the t-2

inner), on the  t-3 outer. At times I needed a clamp or 2, and an extra
hand, just
to get them  in the right position. To me, this is a lot more work, and you
really have  to pay attention to what you're doing, and attention to detail
(otherwise the  rubber wants to kick out of place, and then you get humps
in the top edge).
But using the bug rubber (with a similar installation method as above), it
fits on the trim easier, lays flat, and covers both edges of the metal
reinforcing strip. To me, this is important, as the metal edge can scratch
the
window. The bug rubber also fits more like the original t-3 rubber did. I
first  did this back in 2001, when I rebuilt the outer scrapers on my 65
Notch, but at  the time, I used Brazilian t-3 rubbers. The next car I
rebuilt
them on, I used  bug rubbers (installed the same, but the bug rubbers are a
little longer : )  ).

What it really boils down to, is both will work, but it depends on how you
really want them to fit, as I mentioned above, with the t-2 rubbers, you
really  have to pay attention to what's going on, or they end up lumpy.
Using
the bug  rubbers, they just lay nice and flat, and fit real nice. It's
really up to  you, and you're the one spending the money. ;-)

Bob 65 Notch  S with Sunroof
My old 71 Notch ...aka Krunchy; build pics here;
_http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=240540_
(http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=240540)   -tear down
_http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=249390_
(http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=249390)   -been