[T3] 69 FI trouble shooting

R. David rdavid at rochester.rr.com
Thu Jul 19 05:47:53 PDT 2012

[[[Was there a gauge on the fuel pressure while the engine was dying? If so,
was the pressure holding at 29 right up to the end?]]]

Steve said the gauge was on it when it died the previous night, but not
installed last night. We didn't want to install the gauge on a hot engine
last night, but we will now as this check is worth repeating.

I like the suggestion to re-check the valves, as these could have a reaction
to a warming engine. That's the thing here; it takes this motor getting to
running temp. before it starts it's death spiral. I thought about the
trigger points, but I couldn't see how they would work when cold but not
work when hot.......and then the motor would fire with spraying a flammable
into the IAD, so I kinda ruled out the trigger points to myself....but I
could be wrong.

I forgot to say we did check voltage at the battery, and we could get it to
over 14V with about a mid-range rpm setting. We will check AT the generator
though, thank you. We also swapped out the coil with a known good one and
that didn't matter. His Bosch points and condenser are new (although that
doesn't guarantee anything).

When I saw it was a heat induced death, we immediately checked the
resistance of both temp. sensors, but they were in spec.....so I thought
maybe the brain reacted wrongly (is that a word) to the lowered ohm
readings???

Dave Pallo
'72 Square ~ "Elwood"
Fairport, NY