[T3] Drove the crate a bit today.

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Jul 19 20:34:22 PDT 2012

On 19 Jul 2012 at 20:40, Keith Park wrote:

> Got it up on the highway for a few miles, ran good, this thing has pretty
> good power for a 1500!  Nice low end too.  kinda hunkers down when it needs
> to!  It doesn't like to start when fully warmed up though. just cranks slow,
> strange really.. It does start but usually takes some pumping of the pedal.
> The battery seems good, cranks fine when cold, charging system is working
> OK,
> I have welding cable going to the starter and for the ground strap, starter
> relay at the starter but when its really warmed up even on a cool morning
> it REALLY cranks slow, just about stalls the motor.

Everything about a 6V system conspires to make things about 4x
harder. You have 1/2 the voltage to work with, so every millivolt
lost counts double. The starter has to draw twice as much current to
make the same power, so every milliohm causes 2x the voltage drop.

Don't assume that a solidly bolted connection is good. I've seen
highly ohmic bolted connections at the solenoid.

If you have those aftermarket battery post clamps that clamp w/2
bolts to the wire, replace them with one piece parts. Those clamped
connections go bad in about a year. Nothing is as good as the OE
parts.

Clean the battery posts and make SURE the clamps are all the way down
on the posts before you tighten them. Use a screwdriver to spread the
clamps so they'll go all the way down. DO NOT hammer them down; that
will mean a new battery.

You could try loosening and retightening EVERY bolt in the starter
current loop, ground and hot. Make sure the short braid from solenoid
to starter is in good shape. As a last resort, you could think about
the battery ground wire routing: Either route it so that it connects
to the other end of the same bolt as the tranny ground strap, or make
a new ground wire that runs from the battery ground all the way to
the tranny. Leave the OE ground strap in place for the low current
devices.

In the end, get someone to measure the battery voltage (post to post,
not clamp to clamp) while you're cranking. If it goes much below 6V,
you may need a new battery.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org