[T3] how to install rear notch hood spring

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sat Jul 21 04:00:44 PDT 2012

In a message dated 7/20/2012 8:19:59 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
djsanderson at telus.net writes:

Hi  Guys
I have a spring for the rear hood of my 1965 notch and for the life  of
me am unable to figure out how to install this sucker. I can't  get
enough leverage on the spring to compress it into place. Has  anyone
done this before? Does anyone have any advice?
Thanks in  advance.

Dave, If I remember right, I installed the pin and "E" or "C" clip on  the
bottom first, then compressed the spring (I think I used some pliers to help
 get leverage), and using needle nose vice grips, clamped on the bar to
hold the  spring in place (I may have used the needle nose vice grips to push
the  spring down, but can't remember), I put the upper pivot pin in, then
slowly released the vice grips. Then I installed the washer and cotter pin in
the upper pin. It's been a few years though.

The Blue Bentley isn't much help (and the Brown Bentley doesn't cover it at
 all), as the only pages it's covered on is section A-14, page 5 and 6, and
 they only really show taking it apart.They have the trunk lid off, and I'm
 pretty sure I did too, as you need access (and leverage) to that little
pocket the spring sits in. You can't really do it with the trunk lid on. They
 use a screw driver to compress the spring, and remove the pin (bottom of
page 5)  from the hinge. Then they just go on to replacing the hinge bushing
(page 6).  Assembly is the reversal of taking it apart.(insert rolling eyes
icon here).

Using the screw driver like they did could work for the spring compression,
 and the vice grips could then hold the spring. It might be worth a shot. I
hope  this helps.

64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)